Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Act I Scenes 1-3

Orsino lounges around his mansion, lovesick for the Countess Olivia. However, he has no way to woo her as she has cloistered herself on her estate in mourning for her late brother. Orsino:
"O, when mine eyes did see Olivia first
Methought she purged the air of pestilence;
That instant was I turned into a hart,
And my desires, like fell and cruel hounds,
E'er since persue me."
Meanwhile, Viola has just washed ashore on a strange land called Illyria. Her father has been dead for some time and she believes her brother has drown in the shipwreck. She asks the captain if there is a lady in Illyria who she might work for. He tells her about Olivia and how the lady is rich but in her mourning she wouldn't be hiring anyone. He mentions the Duke Orsino in passing and Viola jumps at the chance for a job, no matter that she will need to make a few small adjustments. She begs the captain's silence and he grants it, then she heads for the Duke's manor. Viola:
"I'll serve the duke.
Thou shalt present me as an eunuch to him
It may be worth thy pains, for I can sing,
And speak to him in many sorts of music
That will allow me very worth his service."
Olivia's uncle, Sir Toby Belch and Maria argue about Sir Toby's habits of drinking too much, coming in late, and setting Olivia up with the wrong type of men, particularly Sir Andrew Aguecheek. Speaking of Sir Andrew, he loudly enters, flirting bolding with Maria until she leaves. Sir Andrew informs Sir Toby that he is leaving Illyria the next day because his chances with Olivia are slim to none. Sir Toby easily convinces him to stay longer. The two entertain eachother by dancing off the stage. Sir Andrew:
"Faith, I'll home tomorrow, sir Toby. Your niece
will not be seen, or if she be, it's four to one she'll none of me.
The Count himself here hard by woos her."




No comments:

Post a Comment